ICSD uses products from the GoGuardian suite with our Chromebooks for internet filtering, classroom management, device management, and mental health. The GoGuardian Suite of products helps simplify the management of devices in a digital learning environment. It also allows for parent/guardian management of school devices when students use the devices off campus.
To help keep our students safer and more scholarly online, we adopted the GoGuardian suite at the very start of our Digital Learning Environment (DLE) implementations for grades K-8. In addition to classroom tools, GoGuardian provides a mobile application that allows parents/guardians to have more control over their student’s online activities while outside of school. We are pleased to offer our parents/guardians the ability to utilize the GoGuardian Parent app.
What is GoGuardian Parent?
GoGuardian Parent is a companion to the classroom management and internet filtering tools that the district uses for Chromebooks issued to students (grades K-8). Through the use of this app, we hope to encourage more open and honest conversations between parents and children that will result in safer practices and responsible browsing habits. GoGuardian Parent was created to help provide additional educational support to administrators and teachers by allowing parents to see what sites and documents their children are browsing and providing parents with additional internet controls at home. The app gives parents a bird’s eye view of the apps and websites that their kids are on most often and control over school-issued devices during out-of-school hours. With this perspective, parents can be made aware of browsing behaviors, so they can encourage more effective internet browsing habits at home and at school.
What’s the intention of the app?
By providing insight and controls over student browsing activity, our goal is to empower parents to take a more active role in their children’s online learning. We aim to create a greater sense of transparency with student browsing to help bring about a greater sense of accountability on both the parent’s and the student’s part. We also believe that transparency and insight will increase the likelihood of productive student browsing habits on a more consistent basis.
What is included in this app:
- Top 5 summary of student browsing (apps, extensions, documents, and websites visited)
- Teacher interventions
- 30-day view of websites, videos, documents, apps, and extensions
- Ability to block websites on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours
- Ability to pause internet access on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours, either on-demand or at a scheduled time
To access the app, please follow the instructions below:
- Download the app
- iPhone: Visit App Store, search for GoGuardian Parent, and tap the download button.
- Android: Visit Google Play Store, search for GoGuardian Parent, and tap the download button.
- After the app is successfully downloaded and installed, open it up and enter the email address registered with the school. Note: Only contacts listed in PowerSchool as “has custody” or “receives mail”, with a primary email address, are eligible for a GoGuardian Parent account.
- Login/Check Email: Check your email on your mobile device / phone for a link to log in to the app. Tap the “Verify your email”, and it will take you straight to the app. Note: If you don’t have access to your email through the device you used to log in, tap on “Login with verification code”, and copy and paste the verification code from the email into the app.
What are my parental/guardian and child’s responsibilities?
We ask that students use their school-managed Google accounts and school-managed devices for educational purposes within the boundaries of ICSD’s DLE Handbook & Agreement, as well as Board approved appropriate use policies linked on our district’s DLE webpage. When a student is off campus, parents are responsible for supervising internet access and usage. The GoGuardian Parent app can help with this! We encourage you to discuss rules for appropriate internet usage with your child, and reinforce lessons of digital citizenship and safety with him or her.
How can I get additional help with the app?
If you have questions after visiting the support page linked above, please feel free to reach out to our I.T. support team at 515-961-9500 x2503 or via our online support portal.