Definition of College and Career Readiness in Iowa (educateiowa.gov)
Iowa students who are college and career ready have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills, and strategies to be successful in postsecondary opportunities as demonstrated through multiple sources of evidence, including those generated by students. Iowa students who are college and career ready have successfully…
Achieved Proficiency In Essential Content Knowledge
- School-2-Career Program started in the 21-22 School Year
- Currently students are placed at: Wells Fargo, Miller Mechanical, Hy-Vee, Indianola Vet Clinic, Lula Belle, Downey Construction, Miller Electric, Indianola Pediatric Dentistry and Iowa Realty.
- 20 Concurrent Enrollment Classes in house
- PSEO Courses available (interested students need to work with counselors)
- 9 Career Academy Programs (DMACC)
- 10 Advanced Placement Courses which can lead to College Credit
- Required Economics Course which includes Financial Literacy components (Graduation Requirement)
- Personal Finance Course offered as a second level of work to our Financial Literacy Curriculum (Elective Credit)
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) used to give students a wide variety of experiences to explore a career of interest.
- Career Technical Education courses incorporate presentations by professionals in their classrooms to promote Careers in CTE fields. Professionals brought in from: Iowa Society of CPAs, Miller Electric, Indianola Mechanical, Masonry Union of Iowa, Laborers Union, Vice Construction, Edward Jones Investments, Multiple Entrepreneurs, Field Trip to Downing Construction and Missouri Valley Line Constructors.
Acquired Practical Transition Skills
- XELLO Career and College Ready Tool used to identify career interests and complete a 4-year plan for our students.
- 9th-Lessons on Personality Styles, Exploring Career Factors and Getting Experience
- 10th-Lessons on Work Values, Careers and Lifestyle Costs, Workplace Skills & Attitudes and Program Prospects
- 11th-Lessons on Choosing a College or University, Career Demand and Work Life Balance
- 12th-Lessons on Defining Success, Job Interviews and Career Path Choices
- 10th-12th Grade Students may attend the Build My Future field trip to explore hands on educational opportunities in the trades programs.
- *NEW Spring of 22 Paying and Planning for College and Career (New for grades 10-11) Currently Scheduled for Spring Conferences Feb 15, 2022 6:30pm – 7:30pm Contact the Counselors for more information!
- Senior Meetings throughout the school year to include: Senior Parent Meeting, FAFSA Completion Meeting, Financial Aid Night, Individual Seniors and Counselor meeting to plan for post high school
- Annual Junior Meetings-Individual students meet with their counselor to organize their senior schedule and plan for life beyond high school.
- Implementation of American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Standards for school counselors
Developed Key Learning Skills And Cognitive Strategies
- Project Based learning opportunities in classrooms
- Collaborative Learning Experiences
- Scientific Units of Inquiry
- AP Seminar – covers advanced research, writing and presentation skills
- Use of Balance Model for Optimal Learning – Fisher, Frey and Quaglia (2018)
Built A Strong Foundation of Self Understanding And Engagement Strategies
- Students engage in conversations regarding their Civic Duty in their Government Course (Graduation Requirement)
- Students have opportunities to register to vote in the fall and spring while in Government
- Hands on Experiences in various classrooms to engage students and connect to the real world for value beyond school. Some examples include but are not limited to experiments, projects, performances, interviews and guest speakers.
- Through collaborative learning activities student work together and socialize with their peers.
- XELLO provides the use of personal inventories and career interest inventories
- Various Student Centered Clubs and extra-curricular activities provide students with opportunities to explore their own interests and expand upon their understanding of topics and activities of interest.