Whittier Elementary School Fast Facts
At Whittier Elementary we are a community of educators who are built on the foundations of collaborative teams that work together toward one common goal, student learning.
- Approximate enrollment of 450 students in grades Pre Kindergarten-Fifth Grade
- Class sizes
- PK–no more than 20
- K-2–approximately no more than 25
- 3-5–approximately no more than 29
- The school day is 8:10-3:00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. 8:10-2:00 on Wednesdays.
- The Elementary schools operates on a 6 Day cycle. Students attend Art, Music and PE twice during a cycle while attending Guidance and Media once during a cycle.
- Approximate 5% minority student body
- Over 80% of students are proficient as measured by the Iowa Assessment for reading, math, science
- 36% Free and Reduced Lunch population
- Whittier was built in 1960
- Renovation to the building and playground in 2014. Renovations included:
- Safety and security of interior and exterior doors
- New Media Center
- New playground
- New staff parking and bus drop off/pick up
- Wireless connections throughout the building.
Student Support Services
- Counselors serve students in whole group, small and individual settings
- Reading Support is provided to those students who qualify
- School based therapy is available for families in need
- Approved visitors sign in at the office to receive a visitor’s pass. A photo ID is required.
- Call the office for all attendance communication and notes from home.
- Please reference the elementary handbook on this website for further information.