ICSD Elementary Library Program Summary
K-2 Storytime and Checkout
K-2 students have storytime and checkout in the library for 30 minutes each cycle. Students are introduced to the following concepts and vocabulary:
- Book care
- Parts of a book
- Browsing for a book
- Selecting “just right” books
- What is a title?
- What is an author?
- What is an illustrator?
- Reading for pleasure
- Story themes
- Iowa Children’s Goldfinch award books
3rd grade Library Skills
- Library orientation – catalog searching, locating books on the shelves
- Keyboarding – using an online keyboarding site, students work independently to learn the proper techniques to develop the skill of keyboarding.
4th and 5th grade Library Skills
- Library orientation – catalog searching, locating books on the shelf
- Introduction to the Iowa Children’s Choice Award books
- Technology basics – Parts of the computer, computer terminology, Google documents
- Digital Citizenship – password protection, copyright rules, online behavior, cyberbullying
- Genres (Biography, historical fiction, poetry, fairy tales & folktales, science fiction, mystery & suspense, fantasy & mythology, adventure, realistic fiction, graphic novels)
- Lessons on research, using databases, plagiarism, trustworthy or reputable websites and sources, and creating works cited documents are done in collaboration with classroom teachers as needed.