Emerson Elementary School Fast Facts
At Emerson Elementary we are a community of educators who are built on the foundations of collaborative teams that work together toward one common goal, student learning.
- Approximate enrollment of 440 students in grades Kindergarten-Fifth Grade
- Class sizes
- K-2–approximately no more than 25
- 3-5–approximately no more than 29
- The school day is 7:45-2:55 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. 7:45-1:55 on Wednesdays.
- The Elementary schools operate on a 6 Day cycle. Students attend Art, Music and PE twice during a cycle while attending Guidance and Media once during a cycle.
Student Demographics and Learning
- Approximate 5% minority student body
- Over 80% of students are proficient as measured by the Iowa Assessment for reading, math, science
- 33% Free and Reduced Lunch population
- Emerson Elementary was built in 1958
- Major renovation to the building and playground in 2015. Renovations included:
- Safety and security of interior and exterior doors
- New Media Center
- New playground
- New staff parking and bus drop off/pick up
- All new and updated surfaces (floors, walls, ceilings)
- Completely new furniture throughout the building
- Wireless connections throughout the building.
Student Support Services
- Counselors serve students in whole group, small group, and individual settings
- Reading support is provided to those students who qualify
- School-based therapy is available for families in need
- Approved visitors sign in at the office to receive a visitor’s pass. A photo ID is required.
- Building newsletter is emailed on Mondays. Paper copies are available.
- Call the office for all attendance communication and notes from home.
- Materials are delivered to students by the office secretaries or office helpers.
- Please reference the elementary handbook on this website for further information.