This is American Education Week, and next week is Thanksgiving week. The confluence of those two things has served to remind me how very thankful I am for many great things in my life. For this purposes of this blog, I’m going to just comment on a few school things.

I am very thankful for the good work done every day by Indianola CSD students and staff. I have visited classrooms in every building multiple times this fall, and it is exciting to see the teaching and learning going on. I have nothing but good things to say about the district support staff, too. They often work behind the scenes but play a huge role in our educational mission. Whether we are talking about building secretaries, nurses, bus drivers, food service workers, custodians, associates, or buildings and grounds people, they all make important contributions that help ensure our students are cared for and getting a great education. Many times school personnel who are not classroom teachers or administrators can be a significant adult in the life of a student.

Working at the district level, I frequently have the opportunity to interact with community leaders, and I am thankful for the great way the community supports the school, too. The school district has a number of partnerships with community organizations, and the community resources and support are as important to the quality of life in Indianola as the school system is. Our school board does a very good job of looking out for the best interest of students and staff as well and provides invaluable guidance and decision-making.

This Wednesday morning the administration served breakfast to district staff as a small thank you for all they do. While American Education Week gives us an occasion to say thanks, just like Thanksgiving does for all Americans, our thankfulness extends beyond any designated week or scheduled event.

I express my deepest gratitude for the people I get to serve and lead with in the tremendous organization that Indianola CSD is and for the caring, vibrant city that Indianola is! I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.